The Compliance Office is required to maintain written records of all student-athlete employment activities in order to ensure continued compliance with NCAA regulations.
As an LSU student-athlete, you must receive approval from the Compliance Office, in addition to your head coach and academic counselor, prior to securing employment. To do so, please read, complete and submit Form A: Student-Athlete Employment Approval to the Compliance Office.
Once you have received permission to work from the proper institutional authorities, your prospective employer must do the following:
- PRIOR to beginning employment, complete and submit Form B: Employer Agreement. You may not begin working until this form is submitted to the Compliance Office.
- At the conclusion of your employment period, complete and submit Form C: Employment Verification along with your payroll documentation and time sheets.
Athletics Department staff members are permitted to arrange employment for you. However, all employment arrangements must be pre-approved by the Compliance Office.
You must remember the following NCAA rules regarding any employment position:
- You may not be hired based on your athletics ability;
- You may be compensated only for work actually performed at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services;
- Your name, picture or likeness may not be used to advertise, recommend or promote the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind; and
- Transportation to work or any other benefits (e.g., meals) from your employer may not be provided unless the benefit is provided for all other employees.
Any and all updates in your employment status must be reported to the Compliance Office immediately.
Fee for Lesson
A student-athlete may receive compensation for teaching or coaching sport skills or techniques in their sport on a fee-for-lesson basis, provided the following is met:
- Institutional facilities are not used;
- Compliance Office receives documentation of the recipient of the lesson (s), the fee for the lesson (s) provided and any compensation given to the student-athlete;
- Compensation is paid by the lesson recipient (or the recipient's family) and not another individual or entity;
- The student-athlete does not use their name, picture or appearance to promote or advertise the availability of fee-for-lessons; and
- The student-athlete submits the Fee for Lesson form to the Compliance Office and receives approval prior to the lesson (s) actually taking place.